In line with the school’s vision to develop engaged learners, empathetic citizens and ethical advocates, the Student Development Team provides student support programmes grounded in Positive Education that encourage our students to flourish.
Through CCE curriculum and Student Development programmes such as Form Teachers’ Time and Teacher-Student Conference, Bukit Viewans are equipped with social-emotional competencies to strengthen their relationships, build positive emotions, enhance engagement in learning, instil a sense of purpose and meaning and adopt a healthy lifestyle.
We help students to flourish through these six domains:
- Positive Relationships – We believe in helping our students to develop social and emotional skills that nourish their positive relationships with their peers and teachers, and emphasis the importance of connectedness and strong relationships for their well-being.
- Positive Emotions – Through a culture of care in the school, we seek to engender positive emotions of well-being such as gratitude, hope and joy. We believe this will build up students’ resilience and character strengths.
- Positive Health – We provide opportunities for students to practise sustainable habits for optimal physical and psychological health.
- Positive Engagement – We provide meaningful learning for students across subjects and through the Applied Learning Programme and Learning for Life Programme, so that they can experience complete immersion in activities through understanding the nature of engagement, the pathways to it and the impact it has on individual wellbeing.
- Positive Accomplishment – We provide opportunities for students to pursue their passions and deepen their mastery in various disciplines to achieve meaningful outcomes. We provide support for students to embrace challenges with grit, hope and a willingness to learn from their experiences.
- Positive Purpose – We believe that students extract meaning by connecting their strengths and skills that they have developed and making positive difference to others, contributing to the greater good by engaging in activities for the benefit of community.
Character Strengths are ways of thinking, feeling and behaving that come naturally to students and enable high functioning and performance. Developing an understanding of character strengths and utilising them in a variety of different ways builds confidence and competence in our students.
We want our students to be responsible for their learning and believe that they are capable of success. We help our students cultivate a Growth Mindset to fulfil their potential. Students with Growth Mindset believe that intelligence can be developed and this leads to a desire to lead, embrace challenges, persist in the face of setbacks and see effort as the path to mastery. They learn from feedback and find lessons and inspiration in the success of others.