Bukit View Secondary School (BVSS) is committed to caring for our environment.
Bukit View Secondary was awarded the Watermark Award in 2012, the President’s Award for the Environment and SEC-Lee Foundation Singapore Environmental Achievement Award (Public Sector) both in 2016.
BVSS’s Environmental Policy Statement sums up the school’s commitment for the environment and the responsible management of energy and water.
We, staff and pupils of BVSS, can care for, show concern and constantly improve our environment actively as well as the efficiency in our energy and water usage in the following ways:
• School to implement recycling programmes (e.g. for paper products, plastic containers and packaging, aluminium cans and toner cartridges).
• Reduce wastage of natural resources (e.g. by reducing the use of paper, plastic containers and straws).
• Reuse resources creatively (e.g. by using both sides of the paper before disposal).
• Recycle waste (e.g. drink cans, paper, plastic containers, segregating paper waste from other general waste).
• Dispose waste properly (e.g. by not mixing contaminated waste that is hazardous or poisonous with general waste).
• Commit ourselves not to damage, cut down or uproot any trees or plants.
• Participate in environmental activities, promotions and programmes organized by BVSS.
· All air-conditioned premises, including LAN rooms, are to maintain the ambient indoor air temperature at 24°C or higher, as far as comfort level allows.
· Windows and doors of air-conditioned spaces should be kept closed.
· Office and classroom equipment, lights and air conditioners should be turned off when not in use.
· Power management features of personal computers should be enabled.
· Area lights for classroom and office buildings will generally remain switched on until 7:15a.m.
· Meet the 3% target reduction based on 2015 standard of 711111.47 kWh/ year.
Studies have shown that it is cost effective to switch off the lights if you are leaving an area for more than 10 or 15 minutes. However, human behavior dictates that one will not determine how long he/she will be gone before he/she leaves. People will assume they will be out for less than 15 minutes, and leave the lights on. To avoid this, and to show our resolve in using our energy wisely, we recommend that when you leave a room, you turn off the lights.
· Not to waste water unnecessary.
· School must achieve the Water Efficient Building label, achieve water efficient flowrates and flush volume, and attain the Water Efficient Building (WEB) (Basic) certification.
· Meet the 3% target reduction based on 2015 standard of 3615 m3 / year.
• All new office ICT equipment is to meet the latest Energy Star standards, where available.
• White printing paper is to be accredited with the Singapore Green Label by the SEC.
• Lamps are to be rated at least 3-ticks under the NEA’s MELS.
• Air-conditioners are to be rated at least 3-ticks under MELS.
• Refrigerators are to be rated at least 2-ticks under MELS.
• Televisions are to be rated at least 4-ticks under MELS, except for 40 to 43 inch models which are to be rated at least 3-ticks.
|Food and catering services
• Use of reusable cutlery, crockery, glassware and tablecloths OR use of biodegradable cutlery
• Use of environmentally friendly paper products
• Minimize food wastage