The Junior OUtstanding Leaders in Energy for Sustainability (JOULES) Programme @BVSS
The JOULES programme is the enhanced Environmental Science Programme at Bukit View Secondary School. This distinctive 4-year programme not only provides Bukit Viewans with the knowledge and experience in the area of environment and sustainable energy, it also emphasized the development of environmental student leadership. It is hoped that after going through the JOULES programme, Bukit Viewans will be keen to pursue STEM in their higher education, especially in the area of environment and sustainable energy, and thereby contribute to Singapore and the world.
The JOULES programme uses the 4P approach in designing and implementing the programmes – Promote, Participate, Propagate, empower
Promote and Participate – providing students with the knowledge of environmental studies and sustainable energy. The programmes are infused in the curriculum through school wide programmes such as:
- Secondary 1 and 2 ALP programme
- Secondary 3 ALP+ programme
- Consciously designing Applied Learning into the curriculum at the 5E stages: Engagement, Exploration, Explanation, Elaboration and Evaluation.
Propagate and emPower – providing student-leaders with the opportunities and platforms to pursue their interest in environment and sustainable energy. Mentorship and internship opportunities will be sourced out for student-leaders to deepen and widen their knowledge in environment and clean energy area. Some of these programmes include:
- Thinking Hats Programme (Sec 1 & 2)
- STEP-NUS Sunburst Environment Programme (Sec 2 & 3)
- Student Environmental Leadership Conference (SELC) (Sec 2 – 4)
- Singapore Junior Water Prize (SJWP) (Sec 2 & 3)
- Conducting EcoTrails (Sec 2 – 4)
- Advanced Elective Modules (Sec 2 – 4) :
- Energy Explorer with Singapore Polytechnic,
- Smart Robotics Using LEGO NXT with Ngee Ann Polytechnic
A unique feature of the JOULES programme is the provision of scholarships for Bukit Viewans who show a keen interest in environment and sustainable energy as well as leadership potential in advocating and pursuing these areas. There are 2 components to the scholarship structure- JOULES Seedling scholarship and JOULES Award (Distinction/ Merit).
JOULES Seedling scholarship (JSS)
Objective: To attract Primary School students who show keen interest in environment and sustainable energy to come to BVSS to further develop their knowledge and to contribute as student leaders as they progress in the JOULES programme.
Criteria: For incoming Sec 1 students who
- obtained A/A* for Science at PSLE,
- selected BVSS as 1st choice of school, and
- show keen interest in environment and sustainable energy.
Selection Process: Interview and portfolio
Scholarship: $500 per pax. Up to 5 students. Distributed over 2 years.
JOULES Award (Distinction/ Merit)
Objective: To motivate and encourage students who have contributed to the JOULES programme and show leadership in environment and sustainable energy
Criteria: For Secondary 4/ 5 students
- contribution to the JOULES programme
- leadership in environment and sustainable energy
Selection process: Interview and portfolio
Scholarship: $500/ $250 per pax. Up to 5 students.